There is no specific or dictated way to dress for a safari but one has to dress to blend well with the environment. Comfort is key in a safari since there will be activities like walking and hiking for a walking safari. Since most safaris happen in Africa where the heat is very high, one should invest in cotton-made clothes, sunscreen, and sunglasses.
The roads in the game are murram roads and tend to be very dusty. Therefore, wearing neutral colors like brown, tan, and khaki beats the dust and shows less conspicuously. To keep the dust and harsh sun rays off your eyes, it is advisable to wear sunglasses.
Long-sleeved shirts and t-shirts with collars and wide-brimmed hats are highly encouraged because they protect you from the sun and insect bites too. One should also get light and breathable trousers and shorts for a safari. Lastly, good shoes are vital for a safari. A pair of trainers or light hiking boots will do.
Can You Wear White On Safari?
A Safari is a journey to see the wildlife and one needs to prepare thoroughly when going for a safari. They should pack accordingly depending on their destination for the safari, the current time of the year, and the type of safari they are going to attend.
With all these factors put into consideration, neutral colors for a safari are the most suitable colors. These colors include green, light brown, tan, khaki, olive, and beige. These colors enable you to blend almost perfectly with the surroundings. Bright colors like white draw attention to animals, especially when walking since some animals like lions are drawn to movement.
White-colored clothes also show dust and dirt since during safari you will probably travel along dusty roads and brush through dirt unknowingly. Neutral colors hide dirt better than white clothes.
When you go for a safari during the rainy season, shades of green and brown are the best to wear. This is because the surroundings will be greener than the usual time of the year, hence they will blend perfectly. The aim of a safari is to view the wildlife in their most natural selves, wearing white clothes will spook them making them hide away or charge towards. White clothes should then be avoided when going for a safari.
Can You Wear Jeans On Safari?
Safaris can get dusty and hot when it warms up, so light and comfortable clothes are essential. It is advisable to wear clothes that keep moisture away from your body and that are easy to dry because of the sweating. Just like the shirts and t-shirts, pants should be in shades of khaki, brown, and olive. They should also be breathable, light, and not make noise when moving. One should avoid heavy fabrics like denim jeans.
Pants are essential for a safari. They keep you warm for an early morning drive, keep you from being pricked by thorns and protect you from insect bites. Convertible pants are the best for the game since you can just zip off the bottom part when it heats up. Combat trousers are also another good choice of pants. They have lots of pockets that can be used to store things like a camera, sunscreen, and binoculars without having to carry a bag.
Can You Wear Sneakers On Safari?
The type of shoes to wear on a safari depends on the type of safari planned. They should be closed shoes that are comfortable and breathable, and easy to slip in and out. In a walking safari, a good pair of shoes is a requirement. The shoes to wear on a safari should have a sturdy shoe sole and gripping treads. They should also go as high as the ankle to protect your legs from animals like scorpions and snakes.
The best shoes to wear on a safari are boots- they are known as all-terrain shoes. Safari boots are the best for a safari. They are light but sturdy and have a good sole, unlike the normal sneakers. Hiking boots are a good choice but they tend to be heavy and tiresome. Combat boots are also a good choice- they are strong and have a great sole. A strong sole is key for good safari shoes.
What Should You Avoid Wearing On Safari?
- Bright-colored clothes and patterns should not be worn in the wild. It scares off the wildlife or draws them to you and sometimes animals may attack you.
- Camouflage clothes and animal print. Camouflage is connected with soldiers. Wearing it might confuse and mislead people. Animal prints, on the other hand, might threaten the animals and trigger them to attack the humans for prints of animals that look like their prey.
- Dark-colored clothes like blue and black. Dark clothes attract insects like tsetse flies. Some of these insects cause diseases like yellow fever, dengue fever, and malaria among others.
- Exposing clothes. Clothes that reveal too much skin are not advised for a safari. Such clothes include sleeveless shirts, vests, crop tops, backless tops, and short skirts. They put you at the risk of being bitten by insects and falling sick.
- Open shoes and heavy boots. Closed shoes are recommended in the wild. This keeps your feet safe from snake bites, spiders, and scorpions. These animals are known to have dangerous poison that even kills people.
- Strong perfume. Animals are agitated by some smells, making them very aggressive or nervous. Sweet-smelling perfumes also draw insects close to you which might end up in insect bites.
- Non-absorbent clothes. Cloth materials like nylon are very uncomfortable for a safari. They can stick up to your body when you get sweaty. The material is also not breathable- it does not allow free circulation of air which in return slows down the evaporation process and does not keep the body cool.
- Formal wear and heavy clothes. Safaris are not a fancy thing, they are filled with dust and one does not need to dress up to go for one. A casual outfit is enough for the evening.
- Heavy and thick clothes are not needed since it gets hot during the day. A light jacket, sweater, or fleece can cover for the cold nights and early morning drives.
- Expensive jewelry. One does not need expensive jewelry for a safari. They can be a burden because some of them are heavy and always have the need to keep them safe. The jewelry can be lost during a safari causing a very huge loss.