The rhino comes second in terms of the world’s largest animals. It is also among the big five animals. The rhinos have either one or two horns on the upper part of their muzzle depending on the species of the rhino.
A rhino weighs between 1720 and 3080 pounds. However, this depends on the species of rhino that we are dealing with. Of all the rhino species, the white rhino is the heaviest of all with an average weight of between 3080 and 7920 pounds.
Some of the facts about rhinos can be very interesting to learn. Read on to discover more about the rhino.
How Big Is A Rhino?
Rhinos have an average height of 5.2 feet and their weight range from 1720 pounds to 3080 pounds.
The rhino comes in different species which are white rhinoceros, black rhinoceros, Sumatran rhinoceros, Indian rhinoceros, Javan rhinoceros and Woolly rhinoceros. The white rhinoceros is the largest of them all with a height of 5 to 6 feet. Its weight ranges from 3080 pounds to 7920 pounds. The Sumatran rhinoceros is the smallest of them all and is between 8 and 10 feet. It weighs around 1765 pounds.
The following is a table comparing the size of the rhino with that of the other big five animals.
|Big 5 AnimalsHeightWeight Lionbetween 3.5 and 4 feet330 to 550 poundsElephantbetween 8.2 and 13 feet5000 to 14000 poundsLeopardbetween 57cm and 70cm46 to 165 pounds.|
|Rhino||5.2 feet||1720 to 3080 pounds|
|Buffalo||between 60 and 78 inches||660 to 2200 pounds|
From the table, it is clear that the rhino is the second largest just after the African Elephant.
How Fast Can Rhinos Run?
Rhinos have an average speed of 40-55 km/h. Of all the species of the rhino, the black rhino is the fastest.
The rhinos have very strong hind legs which makes it easy for them to move forward. When they are running and they reach their maximum speed, they can use their toes to run.
There are various things which can cause a rhino to run. When a rhino notices that something poses a danger to it, it simply runs at it to attack it. Rhinos can also run when they think they are being targeted by some predators. The predators can be the lion or the tiger. Worse still, when they realize that some people want to poach them, they will still flee. When the rhinos are in a herd, there ought to be some rhinos which should be subject to others. When these rhinos seem to rebel, they are chased by the dominating rhinos.
Since the speed of a rhino is 40-45 km/h, have you ever wondered what you would do if a rhino would chase you? The fastest man on earth has run at a speed of 44.7 km/h which was only 20 meters. Honestly speaking, a rhino can run at a faster speed and even for a longer distance. So what would you do? Read on to know some of the skills you would use.
What Should You Do If A Rhino Chases You?
- First of all, you should face the direction in which the wind is blowing. Remember that the rhino has a sharp sense of smell and would easily notice you. Therefore facing the direction the wind is blowing will make it difficult for the rhino to detect you.
- If you find a tree nearby, it would be advantageous to climb it. Rhinos cannot climb a tree therefore your safety will be guaranteed.
- It is also advisable that you yell and scream. By making these unfamiliar sounds the rhino will be easily distracted.
- In case there is no alternative left but to run, do so in a meandering manner. Since you will be able to turn much more quickly than a rhino, the rhino will not be able to keep up with your pace.
- If you see a rock or a vehicle you should go behind it. The rhino will only hit the rock or vehicle and stop chasing you. Don’t worry about the damaged car since it has saved your life.
- There are still those who might be very shocked to do anything. You can remain still. A rhino does not have good vision therefore, it will perceive you as a tree and proceed with its own business.
What Do Rhinos Eat?
Rhinos are herbivorous animals feed thus they feed on the green plants
Since there are different species, they use different modes of feeding. While the Indian and the White rhinos are primary graders, the Black, Sumatran and Java rhinos are browsers. The grazers concentrate more on the grass whereas the browsers deal with the food above the ground level like twigs, fruits and leaves.
A large percentage of what the white rhino feeds on is grass. On the contrary, the black rhino can only eat half as much. The black rhino uses its lips to get leaves and the fruits to eat.
Facts About Rhinos
There are some interesting details you should know about the rhino such as its life span and habitat.
The life span of the rhinos varies according to their species. On average, a rhino’s life span can be 40-45 years.
The white rhino has a lifespan of 40-50 years. A black rhino has a lifespan of 35-40 years. An Indian rhino has a lifespan of 35-45 years.
Rhinos like living in tropical and subtropical grasslands, savannas and shrublands and also tropical and moist forests. However, this still depends on the species of rhino that we are talking about.
Just like other animals the rhino also requires food, shelter and water. Rhinos are naturally quiet and tender animals therefore they prefer a place where their privacy is maintained. You may find some rhinos rolling themselves in the mud. This tends to shield them from the scorching sun and also from the parasites will be a nuisance.